An Urgent Message - Risk of Fire

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:13:41

Hi Susan,

Halogen bulbs are considered incandescent. The switches are probably not
rated at a high enough wattage so the contacts "burn".

I have 12 of the new 45 watt replacement led bulbs. They run cool and draw
1.8 watts each. There is so far only one source for these on Ebay. I have
tried 4 other led lights and these are the only ones that produce anything
like a useable amount of light. They are available in 110 volt (Canada has
better voltage control), 120 volt (usa version which produces a little less
light but doesn't burn out) and 220 volt. Here is the url:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20706&item=4379684808

I got 4 120 volt units to use in my RV as the power tends to be less
reliable than I might like in RV parks.

Devices with remotes are not *really* turned off unless unplugged. The
worst offenders are TV's where the screen (which is really just a big tube)
is kept preheated so it will come on almost instantly.

Turning them off by hand will not help. They need to be disconnected from
the AC power supply. This is a nuisance with VCR's if you wish to use the
timed record feature--as you will need to reset the clock each and every
time. (except for a few rare ones that can synch their time to the TV
signals).

I have a "light pipe" (sun tube) in my kitchen. The technology is
essentially the same as a chimney--so the flashing at the roof is very
reliable. The only draw backs ar that sometimes (always in my case) when I
try to clean the globe tiny tiny flies get inside--and die. The other draw
back can be condensation which can cause the appearance of dirt at the globe.

At 06:38 PM 7/19/2005 -0700, you wrote:
> Getting into one which had failed,
>I removed the switch, and it said (in plain English): <<< _incandescent
>only._ >>>
>

>3. I've recently been reading about LED light bulbs, which sound like a real
>breakthrough for economy. I believe I read about one replacing a 45w bulb,
and
>drawing 1.5 watts. Has anyone tried these? Observations? And do they run hot,
>or cool?

>Anyway, the real piece of information which impressed me was that anything
>run by a remote control uses a tremendous amount of energy even when it is
>turned off, because it is constantly scanning for the infrared signal. Some
>of the VCR's use more power when turned off than when recording! Seems
>incredible,
>but there it is. I thought about it. Three controls sitting on the table:
>TV, DVD, and VCR, all drawing power 24/7. It adds up. So, since they were
>already plugged into a power strip (surge protector), I got the habit of
>walking up to them once I was done viewing, turning them off by hand, and
>then switching off the power strip. The only time now I leave the strip
>turned on when I'm not watching is in case I want to record something
>when I'm gone. When I set it up to record I have to enter the time in
>the VCR, because of course it forgets when it is once the power is off.
>
>5.(OT) I'm about to get two sun tubes, one for the hallway, and one for
>the windowless guest bathroom. Has anyone else gotten these, and how have
>they been? Any drawbacks I should know about up front?
>Susan Kline

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@yahoo.com	http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7