An Urgent Message - Risk of Fire

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:35:16 -0500

Susan wrote:
>>1. The tall very cheap Chinese flambeau lamps with the 300w halogen
bulbs always seem to burn out their switches

Try using a dimmer wall switch that looks just like a regular toggle
switch. It comes on easy and adjusts to just the right amount of light.
300W halogen is often too much light. I especially like these dimmer
switches for bathrooms and bedrooms. No more blinded eyes on midnight
runs.

>>3. I've recently been reading about LED light bulbs, which sound like
a real breakthrough for economy. I believe I read about one replacing a
45w bulb, and drawing 1.5 watts. Has anyone tried these? Observations?
And do they run hot, or cool?

Virtually all of the energy consumed by a bulb goes into heat
production. Only a tiny fraction is converted to light energy. So
whatever the wattage of the bulb, that is effectively how much heat it
will produce. E.g., 15 100watt bulbs will produce as much heat as a 1500
watt heater on high.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272