the future of piano study

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:22:06 -0700

Hello, Colin

I thought Brian Chung's title <<Riding Mowers, Dinosaurs and the Art of
War >> was
very well chosen.

I don't see the competition for time as war.

Myself, I notice that I spend too many hours in front of a computer terminal,
(like now) and that my reading time is way down, and I don't spend as long
playing
the piano as I used to.

I noticed in his long list of child activities, that they fell easily into
two major
categories: physically active, mainly sports; and cybernetic-sedentary. Piano
playing is someplace in between. Aerobic it's not. I can see why people
want to
get kids outdoors running around, since they spend so much time sitting down,
staring blankly at stuff.

As for the future: People are always projecting present trends, and then
moaning
about the results. Present trends only show the past, not the future.
Projections
are only useful if they take into account the big picture, and even so,
something
can happen (like 9-11) which nobody foresaw, and which changes the whole
playing
field.

OT: --start soapbox mode--
Picture everything you do, buy, eat, enjoy, etc. Now, remove about half of
the physical
energy going into it. What is left? Are people just going to sit there and
do nothing
about it? Can you predict how people are going to react to $7 gas, knowing
that the
price and availability are only going to get worse yet? I can't.

The city paving crew is resurfacing all the streets for a few blocks around my
house, this week. They have some really big machinery, and they covered the
street with tar, felt, and asphalt, after cleaning and scoring the old
surface.
They do it every few years, keeping the streets nice, but how many more
times are they going to be out there doing that?

What kind of sleepwalkers in Washington approved a bunch of new highway
construction,
when almost nobody will have the gas to drive the interstates? And the
railroads are falling apart, just as the fuel crunch is starting to make
the airlines impractical. (Airplanes use many times the energy of rail, and
trucks use several times the energy of rail, to haul the same stuff.)

Big new highways? Somebody on the web called them really spacious and
luxurious bike paths.

Read "Twilight in the Desert" by Matt Simmons, if you believe the Saudis
when they
say they have decades of supply ready whenever they want to develop it.

--end soapbox mode--

I honestly don't know how kids are going to be spending their days in five
or ten
or fifteen years. All I can guess is that it's going to be way, WAY
different than
how they spend them now.

At least our favorite instrument doesn't have to be plugged in.

The best way to help kids enjoy music is for the parents to actively make
music themselves.

Susan Kline