the future of piano study

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:46:37 -0700

Keep to the topic, please.

Terry Peterson

&lt;skline@peak.org&gt;<br>Reply-To: Pianotech
&lt;pianotech@ptg.org&gt;<br>To: Pianotech
&lt;pianotech@ptg.org&gt;<br>Subject: Re: the future of piano study<br>Date:
Brian Chung's title &lt;&lt;Riding Mowers, Dinosaurs and the Art of War
time as war.<br><br>Myself, I notice that I spend too many hours in front of
a computer terminal,<br>(like now) and that my reading time is way down, and
his long list of child activities, that they fell easily into two
major<br>categories: physically active, mainly sports; and
cybernetic-sedentary. Piano<br>playing is someplace in between. Aerobic it's
not. I can see why people want to<br>get kids outdoors running around, since
for the future: People are always projecting present trends, and then
moaning<br>about the results. Present trends only show the past, not the
future. Projections<br>are only useful if they take into account the big
picture, and even so, something<br>can happen (like 9-11) which nobody
soapbox mode--<br>Picture everything you do, buy, eat, enjoy, etc. Now,
remove about half of the physical<br>energy going into it. What is left? Are
people just going to sit there and do nothing<br>about it? Can you predict
how people are going to react to $7 gas, knowing that the<br>price and
availability are only going to get worse yet? I can't.<br><br>The city
paving crew is resurfacing all the streets for a few blocks around
my<br>house, this week. They have some really big machinery, and they
covered the<br>street with tar, felt, and asphalt, after cleaning and
scoring the old surface.<br>They do it every few years, keeping the streets
nice, but how many more<br>times are they going to be out there doing
that?<br><br>What kind of sleepwalkers in Washington approved a bunch of new
highway construction,<br>when almost nobody will have the gas to drive the
interstates? And the railroads are falling apart, just as the fuel crunch is
starting to make the airlines impractical. (Airplanes use many times the
energy of rail, and trucks use several times the energy of rail, to haul the
same stuff.)<br><br>Big new highways? Somebody on the web called them really
spacious and luxurious bike paths.<br><br>Read &quot;Twilight in the
Desert&quot; by Matt Simmons, if you believe the Saudis when they<br>say
they have decades of supply ready whenever they want to develop
going to be spending their days in five or ten<br>or fifteen years. All I
can guess is that it's going to be way, WAY different than<br>how they spend
them now.<br><br>At least our favorite instrument doesn't have to be plugged
in.<br><br>The best way to help kids enjoy music is for the parents to