the future of piano study

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:26:42 -0700

Although there were about 5,000 makes of pianos being made and sold at the
turn of the 20th century, today there is a mere 50. Still, there are more
pianos being manufactured and sold today, by far, than at that time. I have
more work than I can handle and I see no slowdown in sight. Besides, if this
kind of business ever does die out, I have many other ceative ways to earn a
good living. Bottom line: Love what you do and be damn good at it and you
will always have work.

Terry Peterson

Piano&quot; &lt;blackstonepiano@att.net&gt;<br>Reply-To: Pianotech
&lt;pianotech@ptg.org&gt;<br>To: &lt;pianotech@ptg.org&gt;<br>Subject: the
curious to know what other piano tuners think about the future of piano
study.  I can only guess that the number of children who studied piano 100
years ago versus today is staggering.  I've seen some figures on the decline
of piano sales as each decade passes, and that is a telling
indicator.<br><br>I'm not a cynic by nature, and I am not overly concerned
about the end of our profession coming too soon.  Still, I do think about it
and wonder if other piano tuners are concerned.  Will the number of piano
students continue to decline, or slow to a steady number of new students
each year?  Is it possible in this day of sports, video games, TV, the
Internet, and a million other activities, to reverse this trend?  What would
it take to make this happen?  Should/what should we as piano tuners be doing
more to try and reverse this trend?  I came across an interesting speech
from Brian Chung, the senior vice president and general manager of Kawai
America Corporation:
http://www.pianonet.com/articles/artofwar.htm<br><br>I'm just curious what
McCullough<br><br>please visit the McCullough Tuning Tutorial, a free online
resource for learning how a piano is