the future of piano study

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:27:58 -0700

Since pianos are in the durable goods category, I wonder what sort of an
indicator new piano sales is. I would think that market saturation is at
least a factor in declining sales because, for example, I see a lot of
old pianos being handed down, sold or given away.

I'm not so concerned about an end of our profession, at least as long as
my calendar continues to fill with appointments. But I do some small
things here and there to encourage people to study music, such as:

    . encourage parents to get a piano teacher for their child (ren) and
provide them with a list of teachers if they're interested.
    . help them get a better teacher if I find out they don't like their
present teacher.
    . recommend repairs or adjustments to make the instrument play and
sound better if there are problems with the piano.
    . talk to parents about the Irvine study which demonstrated how
music education is integral to a good education.
    . join the MTA and give talks to piano teachers about how they can
record their students, make CDs, etc., to encourage students to practice
and make lessons more exciting. I've given talks on other subjects, if
for no other reason than to bridge the gap between teachers and technicians.
    . tune, regulate, voice, repair, rebuild, consult on purchasing...
in short, do what I can to support people, young and old, in their
enjoyment of piano.

Tom Cole