Wegman Tuning Pin System

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:12:16 -0700

I can imagine rust could be problem...

David Ilvedson

Original message
From: Mike Kurta
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Wegman Tuning Pin System

    As the (unofficial) spokesman for the Wegman piano (they were=
 made in our town), I'll try to  answer your question.  The=
 tuning pin system Wegman used consisted of a conventional plate=
 with carefully drilled holes that the very short, smooth tuning=
 pins would fit into.  There was no pinblock, and the pins were a=
 slip fit.   The pull of the string in one direction would create=
 enough friction on the pin so that it would stay in one place=
 but still be able to be rotated for tuning.    There is some=
 controversey about whether the holes in the plate are oval or=
 round, but either way, the pins jam and remain in one place.
    Tuning is done in the conventional manner, changing strings=
 is a bit tricky, but with a little practice is easy to master,=
 as the tuning pin stays loose until there is tension applied by=
 the string as it is tightened up.  The system seemed to be a=
 good one as pins never loosened,  and I'm not sure why it has=
 disappeared from the piano industry.
    Mike Kurta,    Auburn, NY
    Home of the Wegman piano.