An Urgent Message - Risk of Fire

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:41:30

Hi Dean,

Have a look here: http://members.misty.com/don/lede.html

First, the figures:

The better usual modern white LEDs (as of early 2005) produce about 20-37.5
lumens of light per watt of electricity delivered to the LEDs when the LEDs
are supplied "typical" current or that at which their characteristics are
specified. Maybe a little more for the highest ranks/binnings. Most such
white LEDs will be slightly more efficient when moderately underpowered and
will be less efficient when overpowered.

As for the near-future, Nichia claims that white LEDs that achieve 60
lumens/watt will go into production in 2005. Cree has achieved 100 lumens
per watt in a demonstration prototype, and has announced a product line
(blue LED dice/"chips" usable for white LEDs that may achieve 60
lumens/watt). More in my bright/efficient LED page, updated 11/4/2004.

Compare to 14-17.5 lumens per watt for standard "A19" 120 volt 60 to 100
watt incandescents, and typically 16 to 21 for most halogen lamps rated to
last 2,000 hours or more.

At 11:21 AM 7/20/2005 -0500, you wrote:

>Maybe I could help clarify a little here. A light bulb converts
>electrical energy to heat energy and light. A fluorescent bulb is more
>efficient at producing light than incandescent and a LED is more
>efficient yet. But still very little of the electrical energy is going
>into light production and most of it is going into heat. It really does
>not matter what kind of light source you have, a good rule of thumb for
>how much heat is generated is the electrical consumption. It will never
>produce more than its electrical draw, conservation of energy won't
>allow it.

>Dean

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@yahoo.com	http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/