Wegman Tuning Pin System

JWyatt1492@aol.com JWyatt1492@aol.com
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:05:30 EDT

Hello John,

  The descriptions you have gotten are fairly accurate.

   The pin hole in the plate is vertically oblong.
Wegman used the principle of friction between
medals of difference hardness will hold very well.
  Conover used the same principle in his "Sleeve
Inserts."

   I have tuned Wegmans twenty or more times.
 About half of these were the same piano. I found
them  not only to be a joy to tune but also very
reliable and consistent.

    Please take note that I was trained to tune  vertical
pianos with my left hand on the hammer.  Therefore the
hammer was tilted at about 10:00 or 11:00 o'clock or to
the left.

   I think what killed this system was right handed tuners
who insisted on tuning this piano with hammer at about
2:00.  With the hammer tilted to the right  pulling DOWN
on the pin therefore increasing the friction. The combination
of the hammer and the string both pulling DOWN on the
pin made it difficult to be tuned very well.

 Regards,
Jack Wyatt