Moving from Uprights to Grands

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:53:22 -0700

At 09:39 AM 7/21/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Thank you group for all of the great tips and suggestions.
>I don't have any Grands lined up at this moment, but I just want to
>be "prepared" when that time eventually/hopefully rolls around.
>
>Thanks again!
>
>Mark Montbriand

Hi, Mark

Good luck, and if at all possible, I think you'll be happier later if
you find a good tuner and have him or her show you some of these things.
For instance, where you should and shouldn't put your hands (and other
parts of your anatomy <grin>) while removing a grand action. How to get
the thing sliding in and out straight, how to deal with the return spring
when you put the action back in, how to get the action the right place front
to back, so the keyblocks fit without forcing, how to get the fallboard
back on when it also has a stiff spring, etc. Much easier to show
than to tell.

Susan Kline