Strip mutes was . . Re: Moving from Uprights to Grands

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:19:58 EDT

 Ric
    Frankly the idea that a good tuner can't get good  results when using a
temp strip is Hogwash. It sound like your saying something  similar.
  I've been using complete strip muting for 32 years & I beleive  the
stability of my work speaks for itself. I know many others who do as well  & with the
finest results you can imagine
  I will say that the material used for muting can have an enormous  impact
on the stability. Rule no. 1....Do not use supply house temp  strips.
 I use the thick green action cloth for years . It's stripped to  about 1/2
to 5/8 wide. I use the one that gets thinnest  from use in  the top treble ,the
next most worn one in the capo section & the thickest  newest one in the
middle & bass. Using this cloth spreads the strings to a  bare minimum with
effeicient damping.
  The efficiency of the whole tuning system is also less tedious for  me than
always moving hands & mutes ... but that's me.
  If using one mute works well for you then this is  great. It's the results
that count. but enough of the myth that strip muting  can't give excellent
results.
   Dale

Hi, Susan and Michael et al,
The whole business of strip muting for either the temperament octave or  even
into the further reaches of the piano has always been controversial  here in
UK.  Probably like Michael I was trained very  traditionally, to discard the
strip mute quite early on and rely on  one's ear for laying the temperament
with just two wedges.  It has  always been looked down upon in the profession
here if a tuner still  has to use a temperament strip, almost suggesting that
his/her ear is not  reliable enough to do without it.  The analogy being a baby's
walking  frame I suppose!   Because  of this early influence I can  actually
feel 'ashamed' if I resort to using  a strip or rubber  gang mute on a
difficult piano. Do i need psychoanalysis?  However, I  could actually argue pretty
stongly in favour of using them with very  small grands and uprights where
inharmonicity is so pronounced that setting  an acceptable temperament can take
more than one pass, and using this aid  would be quicker.  When this topic comes
under discussion over here it  is generally argued that the temperament is
not exactly the same when you  return to complete the unisons and that the whole
excercise can be more time  consuming.
It would be interesting to know what proportion of tuners is 'mute  free'
Ric

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com