Moving from Uprights to Grands

Byeway222@aol.com Byeway222@aol.com
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:21:40 EDT

Hi Michael & List,
First of all, my apologies for sounding a bit 'priggish' over the muting
strip business.  But it really is an issue here.  As Michael points  out these
things are discussed in the PTA conventions, and I imagine it is  a brave
'tested' member of PTA who admits to using temperament  muting.
Another learning curve certainly involves first visiting grand pianos as a
novice tuner.  Yet another situation of being thown in a the deep end
sometimes.  I vividly remember my first experience, on my own, trying to  replace a
S&S pedal lyre with the owner watching!  Another situation  was being unable to
remove the music desk from an older Broadwood grand because  I hadn't been
told about the hidden little notch in the runners.  The tiny  (sometimes almost
invisible) screws holding the key fall into its slots can  be another pitfall
for the novice too.  I think that all technicians'  training programmes should
have a module on all the common piano makes  with idiosyncratic design aspects.

Ric