Strip mutes was . . Re: Moving from Uprights to Grands

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:05:40 -0700

At 12:57 PM 7/21/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>so far . . .  I can't recall it moving, or needing to be redone . .  cant
>say the same for an octave or tw higher . .  it seeems it ALways moves .
>.  there must be a reason there . . .

Hi, Jim

The bridge is out in the middle of the board, which is less stiff than the
edges, and the string length has decreased to the point where a small
change in the bridge deflection will show up in the pitch. Also, the
rendering gets harder in the capo section on some grands, though I haven't
noticed that the pitch shifts in uprights are any smaller.

Well, that's how I explained the phenomenon to myself, anyway. I'm not a
physicist, though.

Susan Kline