Strip mutes was . . Re: Moving from Uprights to Grands

david@davidandersenpianos.com david@davidandersenpianos.com
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:58:48 -0400 (EDT)

  What  about my point, 'is the muted
> temperament exactly the same when you return  to complete the unisons'?
> Ric

No, it never is, due to the "Virgil Smith Phenomenon," the fact that there
are micro-incremental pitch shifts when you move one string of a unison,
then move others later.  Unless and until you perceive these distortions,
and can compensate for them, you will never accomplish a truly master
tuning, suitable for performance or recording.

I threw away the temperament strip 4 years ago, and I've literally thanked
God for the gift ever since.  After the first 2 weeks of fear and worry.
<g> Every tuning, now, stays where I put it, and is rock-solid stable,
because with just a couple of mutes, you end up doing a little mini-pitch
raise on each note, and it's SOCKED IN HARD, brothers and sisters.

My advice? Propel yourself toward the High End by discarding the strip and
going old school; it will double your ability to hear precise changes in
pitch and tone in a very short time, and your tunings will become more and
more beautiful and musical.  and LET'S BE HONEST: if your tuning sounds
better than other peoples' work, YOU WIN---because, regardless of some
technicians' belief or excuse that "people can't really tell the
difference anyway"---which is completely and totally FALSE in my
experience over 30 years---if the piano sounds better than it has before,
your reputation grows, and you become like a wizard to your client.

End of sermon....go in peace.

David Andersen