Strip mutes was . . Re: Moving from Uprights to Grands

Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:07:46 +0100

Well said David! Interesting subject isn't it? One must not get "hot under
the collar" when discussing these things for there is such a lot to learn
and we won't ever learn it all - but we can try! I favour the use of one
mute only technique in the general tuning of pianos. I used to use two mutes
but that was when I used to tune from a tuning fork...  all those aeons ago!
Now I use a trusty ETD just for the bearing octave - but even so I always do
a check by playing M3's chromatically so soon as the chance permits. One
gets to know instinctively how fast the beats go and having learned that one
goes to listening out for other intervals - M10's and M17's. I suppose one
should bear in mind the inescapable relationship of the doubling of the
frequencies with every upward octave. Ask yourself  "If that much change
occures within one octave how gradual is the change from semi-tone to
semi-tone within that octave?" The answer is that it follows the curve
plotted by the frequencies of the octave points. There is a mathematical
equation the 12th. root of 2 (if memory serves me aright) And this is
important to appreciate, for until it is understood and appreciated the
importance of those beats will for ever escape you! For me these beats are
my very own "invisible tool" without them I am lost and I might as well be a
refuse collector (and earn good money and have no responsibilities
and....and.... Gosh!)
Then comes that interesting chap Virgil Smith and his Phenomenon. This is
more readily appreciated by those who tune up their guitars, violins 'cellos
etc. for these are wooden instruments and the effect of tuning one string
can have a dramatic effect on the others. Which is why I developed my
"Quadrant Method" for pitch raising (and lowering - it works both ways!)
With it I use the V.S.P (Virgil Smi..) to my advantage and can pitch raise
up to a whole tone in one pass and only have to touch in with a fine tune at
the end. And a "fine tune" does not mean "within 2 cents" it means within NO
cents - it simply has to be 100% right. Strive for that "and you'll be a man
my son!" (apologies to Rudyard K)
End of Sermon according to Sf.Mihai    :-)