Strip mutes..or lack of them

Phil Bondi phil@philbondi.com
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:55:30 -0400

david@davidandersenpianos.com wrote:

>No, it never is, due to the "Virgil Smith Phenomenon," the fact that there
>are micro-incremental pitch shifts when you move one string of a unison,
>then move others later.  Unless and until you perceive these distortions,
>and can compensate for them, you will never accomplish a truly master
>tuning, suitable for performance or recording.

I sat in the same class as David did on Sunday Morning of the Convention
week. What I took home from that class has improved my tunings..no
doubt. I haven't thrown the temp. strip away yet, but I only use it now
for my temperament section.

One thing needs to be said about Virgil: we all know that he has
ears..but his technique floored me. Granted, he was working on a decent
grand that was pretty close to begin with, but the man has chops beyond
his ears.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)