the future of piano study

Blackstone Piano blackstonepiano@att.net
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:25:15 -0400

 All the comments I've seen have been very interesting perspectives!  =
I've been looking for actual sources for the number of pianos currently =
produced and from 100 years ago, as well as sources of estimates for how =
many people are studying piano now versus 100 years ago.  The number may =
very well be more today than a century ago.  I checked the U.S. Census =
website and it listed the U.S. population in 1900 to be 76 million =
people, and in 1999 to be 272 million.  I'd be interested to know what =
percentage of the population then and now study or have studied piano.  =
If anyone knows of any sources of such numbers, I'd very much like to =
know.=20

Just for the record, I'm not trying to be Chicken Little and propose =
alarm.  My business, like those others who commented, is doing just =
fine.  I know many piano teachers who are very busy indeed.  Still, I =
notice that many of my customers are parents of children taking lessons, =
and I think many feel the need to have their children take lessons =
because that is the thing you're supposed to do.  Perhaps future =
generations of parents will continue to feel this way, or perhaps the =
convention wisdom, or 'just because that's what you're supposed to do' =
will be questioned and things may change.  I don't venture to guess or =
suggest what will happen.

Thanks,

Colin McCullough
please visit the McCullough Tuning Tutorial, a free online resource for =
learning how a piano is tuned.
www.Blackstone.com/tutorial/tutorial.htm