the future of piano study

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:11:18 -0700

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Blackstone Piano
Sent: July 21, 2005 3:25 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: re: the future of piano study

 All the comments I've seen have been very interesting perspectives!  I've been
looking for actual sources for the number of pianos currently produced and from
100 years ago, as well as sources of estimates for how many people are studying
piano now versus 100 years ago.  The number may very well be more today than a
century ago.  I checked the U.S. Census website and it listed the U.S.
population in 1900 to be 76 million people, and in 1999 to be 272 million.  I'd
be interested to know what percentage of the population then and now study or
have studied piano.  If anyone knows of any sources of such numbers, I'd very
much like to know.

I have no idea how many people were actually studying the piano, but from about
1910 to 1920 approximately 300,000 pianos (mostly uprights) were being built and
sold each year.

Del