coat-hanger wire

Warren Fisher fishwar@bellsouth.net
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:31:36 -0500

Michael

I use a lot of hanger wire:
1. Hook for damper wire adjustments.
2. With an angle bend at the tip for a hide glue applicator.  A loop and cross bend at the top keep it from dropping into the pot.  I have several lengths for different levels of glue.
I also use pieces of old bass strings when a smaller applicator is needed.
3. Bent in a close V with loops on the ends to hold the jack tripped while inserting a flange screw.
4. Inserted into the end of a short piece of doweling as a dowel capstan adjuster.
5. To thread bass strings together to send off to the string maker.
I'm sure there are others. If I think of any I will get back to you.

Warren

Warren Fisher- Navy Retired - Slidell, Louisiana

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Gamble
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 7/22/2005 3:13:49 AM
Subject: Re: coat-hanger wire

Hello Listers
What would we do without the humble coat hanger wire? I've noticed on the list lately that there have been two references to it. There's the amazing tip for keeping loops in springs straight whilst "sewing" the loop in situ (butt springs) then earlier there was that equally amazing "use once" tool for removing capstans. I always carry remnants of coat hanger wire around for use as temporary hinge pins where the original has been lost. Coat hangers come in varying thicknesses so I have a mini stock of all I can find. Then there's the hook part of those plastic coat hangers.... They're a different and stronger metal and they're good for sharpening the end to a 'V' and using as a scraper to remove glued-in loop ends from flange ears. Any other ideas out there?
Regards from Sunny Sussex and ... bird song...amazing. In-Word of the Day...
Michael G.(UK)