Yamaha repetition lever adjusting screw question

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:12:39 -0400

MessageIf those felts are decomposed, are all the other felts on the =
wips in good or better condition? If not, likely best to just replace =
the entire set of wippens.

Similar with regulating. Was the piano regulated properly within the =
past few years? Probably not with disappearing felts pieces. It likely =
needs a full regulation.

Doing a partial regulation on just one item on a piano that likely needs =
a full regulation will only get you into trouble when the action still =
doesn't work right!

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Geoff Sykes=20
  To: Pianotech@Ptg. Org=20
  Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 3:24 PM
  Subject: Yamaha repetition lever adjusting screw question

  Greetings all --

  I recently came upon an approximately 30 year old Yamaha G2 in very =
bad repair. Among many other things in such sad disrepair on this piano =
are the repetition adjusting screws. These appear to be Renner style =
whippen's, (see Schaff page 114, item 931RJ), and all the felt pads that =
go between the screw head and the top of the repetition lever have =
decomposed and many have disappeared entirely. Strangely, the buttons =
all seem to be in place. At a cost of almost $700 in parts alone to =
replace the entire set of whippen's my guess is that it's going to be =
more economical to repair them. However, I can't find that felt punching =
in the catalog so I don't quite know what to ask for. So, today's =
questions are...

  : Is that felt punching the same as a thin balance rail felt punching? =
If not, what do I use?

  : Has anyone else done this, and how long did it take? Including =
correcting the regulation afterwards.

  Thanks all --

  Geoff Sykes
  Assoc. Los Angeles chapter.