Stretching the Treble

david@davidandersenpianos.com david@davidandersenpianos.com
Sun, 24 Jul 2005 00:19:09 -0400 (EDT)

I sincerely and deeply question whether having primitive aural tuning
skills, and all the deficits that enables---IMO---is helping this man do
the best job possible, although I'm sure Robin is sincere in his wish for
Mark to do well. Developing an intimate relationship with the piano and
relying on your ears alone to solve the puzzle is a foundational part of
our craft; it's hard for me to imagine doing better and better work on
better and better pianos without doing so.

The better your ears and body can tune, the better you'll be able to use a
tool like an ETD if you wish. The more you use your body, including your
ears, as the greatest tool, and involve it in really, really listening to
the piano and FEELING the piano, the more you can hear the subtle nuances
of tone and color that pianos can offer, and that great players &
appreciators can hear.

David Andersen