Stretching the Treble

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sun, 24 Jul 2005 07:48:36 -0500

David,

I love your descriptions of tuning.

Blessings,

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

I sincerely and deeply question whether having primitive aural tuning
skills, and all the deficits that enables---IMO---is helping this man do
the best job possible, although I'm sure Robin is sincere in his wish
for
Mark to do well. Developing an intimate relationship with the piano and
relying on your ears alone to solve the puzzle is a foundational part of
our craft; it's hard for me to imagine doing better and better work on
better and better pianos without doing so.

The better your ears and body can tune, the better you'll be able to use
tool like an ETD if you wish. The more you use your body, including your
ears, as the greatest tool, and involve it in really, really listening
the piano and FEELING the piano, the more you can hear the subtle
nuances
of tone and color that pianos can offer, and that great players &
appreciators can hear.

David Andersen