S&S action question

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:03:04 -0700

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of Horace Greeley
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 3:03 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: S&S action question

=20

Phil,

At 01:19 PM 7/25/2005, you wrote:

I have been asked to get this action to feel lighter. Right now it feels
like a Mack Truck. I have not measured DW yet, but it feels like mid =
60's to
me.

-there is only 15mil from knuckle to bushing. I measured it 3 different
times getting the same result.

-Hammers, shanks, knuckles, and whippens have all been replaced, but I =
think
I'm fighting an uphill battle without replacing those shanks.

Your thoughts?

Before getting too involved with changing things, take the time to make =
very
careful measurements in re: action dimensions.  For example, check out =
the
following:

>From the book, "Steinway Regulation" by F. R. Deitz

Point of hammer center        Model     S -B       C-D
from underside of string                     4.6 cm    4.9 cm

Point of rep. center                              11 cm  11.3 cm

Blow                                                    47 mm    47 mm

Dip                                                      9.5 mm   10 mm

underside of keytop
from keybed                                        63 mm     65 mm

You will want to look at the deck height (key bed to underside of =
string,
nominally measured at the factory at note 62) which should be nominally
7-1/2".  Everything works backwards from that measurement.  So, to the
extent that it is too "proud" (it is usually too high, as against too =
low),
you will need to refigure the measurements from Dietz.

Be sure to check the spread - spread pre 84 was  4.381" and post 84 was
4.395"

I think that you will find some good information on all of this =
published
some time ago in the Journal by Chris Robinson.

Best.

Horace