Pin Block Boring Jig using a bench top drill press.

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:28:56 -0500

Hi Warren,

I made a small platform, about 12x20", out of 10 or 12 gage steel that I
welded to short columns onto. I had a local machine shop make the
columns for me the same diameter as my drill press columns. I think it
only cost $60-80.  On one end I had them cut them off at a 5 degree
angle. Then I welded the columns, one on each end, onto the plate and
screwed the plate onto a piece of very smooth birch plywood. I place a
new double pin block over the piano as my table. The drill press head
goes onto one of the two columns, depending on how deep the face of the
pin block is below the rim. I can even get a little more adjustment by
turning in the top set screw on the drill press head so that it won't
slip all the way down onto the column. Final adjustment is made by
moving the drill bit in and out of the chuck so that it is just above
the face of the plate.

To move from hole to hole I simply scoot my fabricated platform across
the new double pin block table (clamped to the underside of the rim with
bar clamps. I always have one of my sons holding a vacuum hose at the
drill bit. This keeps debris away and also keeps the bit cool.

I drill right through the new bushings. This makes the pins go in really
easy.

I think I'll be drilling one within a couple of weeks. Maybe I can get
you some pictures. It ain't pretty but it really works. And it is easy
to make.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272