raising damper lift to lighten touch

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:04:13 EDT

=20
Jerry, David,
=20
I thought of adjusting the spoons, and perhaps that might have been a  bette=
r=20
idea.  Spoon bending has never seemed extremely accurate to me,  though, and=
=20
no matter how hard the wood is, I always have this little fear of  hearing a=
=20
"crack!" =20
=20
Bill Spurlock's damper jig would have worked well to regulate the  spoons. =20
Next time I may try it that way.
=20
Using the tray as a guide seemed like a quicker fix at the time, and in the=20=
=20
end it worked out pretty well.  Adjusting the spoons may have required =20
removing and replacing the action many more times than I had to do it, thoug=
h I =20
would have kept the factory regulation in place...dang, those guys are  good=
!
=20
The store manager tried the piano; he was pleased with the result.  I  was=20
too, though we tend to be protective about the work we do on pianos,  n'est-=
ce=20
pas?
=20
The true test will be whether or not the customer who complained about the =20
touch comes in an lays out the cash for it....
=20
It was a 186 Seiler.  The friction was fine.  I had checked it  previously.=20=
=20
Seiler actions tend to be heavy.  I've seen a few of the  180s that have had=
=20
graphite related pinning problems, but not in this  case.
=20
Thanks for the suggestions,
=20
=20
Dave S.
=20
The whole operation took meIn a message dated 7/28/05 12:06:03 PM Pacific =20