butt springs

Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:12:25 +0100

Warren and List
 - here's another odd problem to do with dampers and hammers not =
working... unscrew the damper (this is an upright?) and look at the =
damper tail felt. I have found the damper spoon so rough that it has =
gauged out a pit in the tail felt and stopped the lever from returning! =
A quickie fix is to remove that felt and turn it end-for-end then reglue =
it. That's for in the field work where you haven't got felt to hand of =
the right thickness/density whatever.
Regards
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Warren Fisher=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 3:02 PM
  Subject: Re: butt springs

  Richard,
  I wouldn't advise doing it that way.  I don't think the rail screws =
are removable inside the piano. There is too little clearance between =
the screw head and the hammer rail.  You may get them out, but I doubt =
you could get them back in.  Sometimes you have to remove the hammer =
rail to get enough clearance.  Also you have a good possibility of =
messing up the damper adjustment getting the rail out.  You really don't =
want to do that.

  Springs are not the only thing that will cause a key not to work.  You =
will never know what is causing the problem unless you remove the action =
and inspect everything.  I have replaced a spring and then found the =
flanges seized up with moisture.=20

  You should charge a substantial fee, at least one hour, just for =
removal and replacement of the drop action.  This charge should not =
include any work and should be collected whether you work on the action =
or not.  Don't sell yourself short.

  Take the action to the shop and put it in a cradle so that all the =
parts are accessable.

  Warren Fisher- Navy Retired - Slidell, Louisiana=20

    ----- Original Message -----=20