Strip or Not?

Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:29:24 +0100

Hello Joe and List
Indeed I am not "spoiling" for a fight! and I agree the only way to do =
anything is the right way - however.... you're in the field and you've =
only got some coat hanger wire to replace a missing hinge pin (which =
will do the job, albeit temporary) you use the coat hanger wire. No =
argument.
ps - who's talking about "high end" or "low end" anyway? If you have a =
hard time accepting that I am prepared to fix someone's (a school? =
perhaps) piano with a temporary hair-pin or coat-hanger wire fix that, I =
fear, is your problem, Joe, not mine!
Regards
Michael G. (UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe Garrett=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 12:31 AM
  Subject: Strip or Not?

  Michael,
  All this "hoity toity" blowhard stuff about using a temperament strip =
or just a few mutes is somewhat like the  arrogant fallderall that we =
used to hear from "tuners" when they were railing against ETDs! Same =
Crap, IMHO!
  THEN.....sigh....you turn right around and say that you replace hinge =
pins with coat hanger wire! Yikes! Why not hair pins or paper clips or =
baling wire or some other "Slock" fix.
  My question is this: Are you a "high end" Technician or not. As it =
appears you are not, even though you would like us to believe you are. I =
chose to believe you are, but I'm having a real hard time accepting it, =
at this point. You either are or are not. Ya can't have it both ways, =
IMO.
  I'm not trying to start a fight here, but your comments will carry =
some level of credance with some of those who are looking for "Proper" =
guidance in this industry. The Coat Hanger thingee is, IMO, a last ditch =
effort or at least a Temporary one and should be presented as such.
  Regards,
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I