raising damper lift to lighten touch

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:26:58 EDT

Greg,

It is plain to me from the work I did on the Seiler that there is a
noticeable difference when the dampers lift later.  I did a downweight  check on a few
keys, and the difference was around 5-6 grams.

The thing that made me consider doing it at all was this:  some pianos  have
tricord dampers with fingers that extend far below the level of the  string.
This creates a fair amount of friction.  It's easy to find by  pushing the key
slowly.  Compare keys with over-long tricord dampers to  keys with blocks.
Big difference in feel!  It was obvious to me from  that observation that
dampers indeed play a role in key touchweight.

I experimented with a few consecutive dampers before I did the whole piano,
and did a blind test with two of the store salesmen.  I had them try  two
contiguous white keys, one  with adjusted lift, and one before  adjustment.  We
could all feel the difference, especially with pianissimo  playing.

It may not be the ideal solution for a heavy touchweight, but given  that the
piano hadn't been sold yet, I didn't want to do something that  would have
been more difficult to reverse.

Thanks for the input,

Dave Stahl

a message dated 7/30/05 12:15:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,