raising damper lift to lighten touch

Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:14:49 +0100

Hello Dave - you said: =20
"some pianos have tricord dampers with fingers that extend far below the =
level of the string."=20
S&S maintain that the split damper felts should be cut to show "no =
winking" below the strings. Not only does this dispense with that =
"friction" you mention, but that same friction induces a "shushing" =
noise which is unacceptable in a recording.=20
Regards
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2005 2:26 PM
  Subject: Re: raising damper lift to lighten touch

  Greg,

  It is plain to me from the work I did on the Seiler that there is a =
noticeable difference when the dampers lift later.  I did a downweight =
check on a few keys, and the difference was around 5-6 grams.

  The thing that made me consider doing it at all was this:  some pianos =
have tricord dampers with fingers that extend far below the level of the =
string.  This creates a fair amount of friction.  It's easy to find by =
pushing the key slowly.  Compare keys with over-long tricord dampers to =
keys with blocks.  Big difference in feel!  It was obvious to me from =
that observation that dampers indeed play a role in key touchweight.

  I experimented with a few consecutive dampers before I did the whole =
piano, and did a blind test with two of the store salesmen.  I had them =
try two contiguous white keys, one  with adjusted lift, and one before =
adjustment.  We could all feel the difference, especially with =
pianissimo playing.

  It may not be the ideal solution for a heavy touchweight, but given =
that the piano hadn't been sold yet, I didn't want to do something that =
would have been more difficult to reverse.

  Thanks for the input,

  Dave Stahl

  a message dated 7/30/05 12:15:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time, =