VERDIGRIS IS COPPER CORROSION

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:08:39 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks, Dale,
     This brings me back to my original question:
I can accept that there is something in the wood ( or
bushings ) which reacts with the center-pins to create
verdigris.
     But copper HAS to be in there somewhere, so where
is it? In the wood, bushings or centerpins ?
Copper is an intermediate plating sometimes used in
electroplating schedules where the top plating is
nickel or silver, which is what made me suspect it was
under the top finish on the pins. It also made me hope
that new pins were copperless, so  that otherwise good
bushings, well-blasted with solvent and lubricated (
to replace the displaced lanolin )  can be re-pinned
without replacement. Like on  this Brown action for
which I am not getting paid very much.
     There could also have been some antedeluvian
lubricants ( tallowates) which reacted with the
plating, encouraging this corrosion, which linger in
wooden parts, BUT, if pins are ( sensibly ) no longer
made with copper content, this should no longer be a
problem, right ???
    Honestly not trying to drive anyone crazy here.
Just wanting to know where I can buy pins with
zero-copper content.
    And if there is more than one supplier, whose?
    Thump

P.S. Yes, I know I could call the suppliers, which is
what I will  do next.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs