Different materials for hammer shanks

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:58:09 -0700

Sarah said: "As I was eating Thai food the
other night, I was wondering why nobody (??) has tried using bamboo for
hammer shanks -- perhaps glued into rock maple flange parts.  Perhaps =
some
of the Asian manufacturers???)"

Sarah,
First, - - - Look out for that Thai Food! It'll definately put fire in =
yer furnace!<G>
Second, - - -  I ran into a "home repair" that did exactly that, on an =
olde upright. That one note had a strange sound to it, so I investigated =
and- - - - Yikes! I replaced it with a maple shank and the weirdness =
went away. However, if the whole set had bamboo for shanks, perhaps it =
would be just fine?!<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police