Different materials for hammer shanks

John Fortiner JLFortiner@usadig.com
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:03:51 -0600

Then there was the upright I worked on that had a "rancher" fixed shank.  A
bright yellow #2 lead pencil used for the shank.  Hmmmm...and I wondered why
it didn't sound or feel the same as the other notes/keys/hammers....

John Fortiner
Billings, MT

  _____

From: Joe Garrett [mailto:joegarrett@earthlink.net]
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2005 7:58 PM
To: pianotech
Subject: Different materials for hammer shanks

Sarah said: "As I was eating Thai food the
other night, I was wondering why nobody (??) has tried using bamboo for
hammer shanks -- perhaps glued into rock maple flange parts.  Perhaps some
of the Asian manufacturers???)"

Sarah,
First, - - - Look out for that Thai Food! It'll definately put fire in yer
furnace!<G>
Second, - - -  I ran into a "home repair" that did exactly that, on an olde
upright. That one note had a strange sound to it, so I investigated and- - -
- Yikes! I replaced it with a maple shank and the weirdness went away.
However, if the whole set had bamboo for shanks, perhaps it would be just
fine?!<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police