downbearing question

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 22:43:33 EDT

=20
Stephane
   Well I saw no responses to the can- o - worms  post ..........grin
   SO  I kind of hate to wade into  this but I'll try to make it as simple a=
s=20
my mind usually works.  If I  translate what your saying accurately, your=20
concern is that your  total  residual lowell gauge bearing reading of 6 mark=
s on=20
the gauge is too much. Is  this right? 6 times .003 =3D.018 or 1 degree
   If so this would would be a great deal of bearing  for an old flat=20
soundboard. IMHO.
  I'll refer you to setting bearing to 1995 PTJ articles  by John Hartman fo=
r=20
(One)  concise  method of setting bearing &  also general guidelines.
    It is not the only method but the one I  subscribe to presently as do=20
many others
  In a fully crowned board It would be common to detect 2  plus degrees of=20
bearing in the top trebles(tweeters) 1 & 1/2" in the Alto  region(middle of=20=
the=20
board)  & 1/2 degree in the low tenor( the chello  section). Trebles require=
=20
more pressure stiffness to drive high frequency.  Bass  sections virtually n=
one=20
to make bass. But I like some (1/2degree)on  larger pianos without=20
cantilevered bass bridges.
  More than any of the above . Does the piano sound good  ?? This tells a=20
huge story. Has the board assumed a flat compressed condition.  Meaning the=20=
crown=20
has been squashed down to  a flat state & not turned  inside out or upside =20
down or concave.=20
  If a board of this age has been shimmed  it is a  falt board  & IMO there=20
will not be an appreciable crown to work with  so only small degrees of bear=
ing=20
are prudent or tonal distorations & maladys  of all kinds can develop. Amhik
  I dont' know if this helps any one but there it  is.
   & It's JMHO
  Dale Erwin
 =20
=20

Hello list.
=20
This old 1864 Pleyel (again) has many features  which I think are quite=20
straight forward.
The rim and the ribs are shaped so there is  nearly no crown in the bass=20
bridge regio, few in the tenor, lots in the alto  and again less in the high=
=20
trebble.  In the original setting, downbearing  followed this pattern : near=
ly no=20
on the bass bridge, few on the low long  bridge, lots in the trebble and les=
s=20
again in the high trebble.
My question is : in such an arrangement, can we  set more downbearing in thi=
s=20
alto area than if the downbearing were spread on  the whole scale ?  How muc=
h=20
could I put there ?  For now, after  soundboard shimming, there are as much=20
as three graduations on the Lowell  gauge, in front bearing and in rear=20
bearing.  I'm used to consider this  quite much.  Any opinions ?
=20
Best regards,
=20
St=E9phane  Collin.=20

=20
=20
Erwins Pianos  Restorations=20
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com