Different materials for hammer shanks

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 00:02:50 EDT

In a message dated 7/30/05 6:53:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:

Sarah said: "As I was eating Thai food the
other night, I was wondering why  nobody (??) has tried using bamboo for
hammer shanks -- perhaps glued into  rock maple flange parts.  Perhaps some
of the Asian  manufacturers???)"

Sarah,
First, - - - Look out for that Thai Food! It'll  definately put fire in yer
furnace!<G>
Second, - - -  I ran into a "home repair"  that did exactly that, on an olde
upright. That one note had a strange sound  to it, so I investigated and- - -
- Yikes! I replaced it with a maple shank  and the weirdness went away.
However, if the whole set had bamboo for shanks,  perhaps it would be just fine?!<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool  Police
Squares R I

Joe, Sarah,

The best thing about bamboo is that there is no world shortage of it.   In
fact, try getting rid of it sometime.

IMO, making shanks out of bamboo would be in the same category as  burning
garbage as gasoline.

Dave Stahl