Wurzen felt----was Self voicing hammers

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 23:12:57 EDT

Hi John
  I've used high quality hammers on many of these. In  most cases, new
quality hammers  were the best & most econmical use of  dollars to promote tonal
enhancement of rather mediocre pianos. Of course ,this  requires a good
regulation , hammer mating ,seating & all the usual  protocols common in high level
piano performance enhancement.  Whatever  potential's there needs to be optimized
right?
  Honestly I've done this in Young changs ( Young clangs)  Many Yamahas &
Kawais, generic asian types& there was always an  improvement once the petrified
felt o.e.m. parts were trash canned &  replaced with top drawer parts.
  Over the years & being somewhat  hammer   obsessive (H.O.), I've installed
hammers in anything that would hold still long  enough  to receive &
transplant & I learned a lot this  way.
    One thing holds true though if it really  doesn't sing or ring with an
easy pluck test in the money notes it's not likely  to get a whole lot better
with hammers.
  There is a point of no return for some critters.   Ie. An 80's C-7 Yamaha
with a pluck time in the  C- 6  area of 2  seconds . Honest ! Dead board caused
by some other malady of  bearings , designs & such
   Dale Erwin

>      Most assuredly John.  Ronsen Wurzens are  suitable for any
> piano...with a working soundboard.   !

How about pianos with quasi-working soundboards? I look after dozens  of
older Samicks, YC's and other Korean made instruments. Would they  benefit
from them too?  Is it worth trying to get the owners  interested in them?

John