When the mind unravels, it's not a pretty sight OT was Re: Pinblock Plugging; was: woe on the boat,(block epoxy), whatever THAT meant.

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 22:09:54 -0500

I picked a poor pun to reply with....sounded like I was wounded. I was not,
and appreciated the responses. I've never taken on such a job so was
speaking from ignorance, as I said, and if you'd ever met me, you'd agree,
yup, he's ignorant.

The sword, since you seem interested, is actually a rusty old scimitar that
was once owned by a fellow named Percival P. Tinklemouse, Jr. This is
history, I mean, his story ...

After a brief but unrewarding career as a piano tuner in Chug Ahlug
Upchuck, and neighboring nomadic Norse villages, Tincklmouse tried his hand
(no, his other hand) at being a full time piano interior decorator as
generations of Tincklmice had done before him, and after him, and during
him, as well, as it were, I suppose. Anyway, later (sometime after 8:00
P.M. Eastern) he traveled extensively throughout the orient and worked as a
freelance sports referee. Yes, it's true. He called balls and strikes and
pucks and the odd shuttlecock (though, oddly, never a shuttlehen). Anyway,
he was always considered fair, so he tended to sunburn quite easily. It's
harder for some of us, I suppose, but I digress, or so it seems. Perhaps,
tomorrow ...

The "Babe," the Sultan of Swat, the Baltimore Battler, the Bold Bambino,
That's Enough!, was not born until many, many, I don't know how many years
after this time, of course, so Tinklemouse, never got to seem him play
which was a pity and gave him a certain reputation for being totally
Ruthless. Because he was particularly portly, with prodigiously pudgy
protruding posterior parts, he had to make his calls while seated on a
(very) wide footstool. This was a steel footstool that his mother knitted
for him using steel wool. The Woolworth's people still want to know who
stole the steel wool over their eyes, but that is another story that
doesn't make sense either.

Anyway this all went to make Ol' Percy quite famous, in his day, and many
people still remember the Ottoman Umpire. In (almost) any event (Reformed
Druid weddings and Al Qaeda potluck suppers excepted) he used his trusty
rusty sword to make points that stuck in people's minds, or wherever
directed. Many said that the use of such a barbarous instrument (not to be
confused with a razor and strop) was downright, outright, cartwright, up
tight, out of sight, baby everything is all right .... oh, wait ...
unsporting and gave him an unfair edge, rather like steel steroids, but he
directed cutting remarks at his critics and they soon, as it were, got the
point.

Anyway, this famous bit of history (the sword, in case you were lost) fell
into my hands in 1968 and it hurt a lot. Due to severe rusting and a
chronic congenital case of genital swordrot, we have had to replace the
blade several times and the hilt, twice. But it really is the original
scimitar that Sir Percival (did I tell you he was knighted by the Queen?
Perhaps I didn't, that would have made the whole story unbelievable, so
forget it, he was just "Mr." Percival to you.) wielded (and occasionally
welded -- swordrot, you know) so proudly. Trust me.

So, Percival's great-great-well-not-so-great grandson became an airport
screener. It was either that or medical school and he wanted the challenge.
Last Wednesday, he stopped a vulture who had particularly dead woodchucks
under each wing. "Hey," he said, articulate lad that he is, "Each passenger
is only allowed one carrion." The poor bird, piqued and a little miffed
left in a Huff—a 1936 Huffmobile, that is, with those chromed running
boards and big fat whitewalls. He said he'd rather drive, anyway. Somewhere
near Treestump, South Carolina, he stopped for a one-legged hitchhiker.
"Hop in!" he said...

Bu dit, bu dit, bu dit, bu That's all folks!

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

B.S. Now before you say anything out there in List Land, note that I did
say OT at the beginning and I did work the word "piano" into this misguided
massive missive. Life is far to important to take seriously. And besides an
old upright beat me up on the playground this afternoon ...
.

hurry.