Chickering Square Grand Actions, etc.

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 18:24:48 -0300

Hi Joe,
Would it be possible for you to make your lines fold/change to next =
line.
This message was awkward to read, as one needed to scroll sideways.
I guess it could have been my set up, but I don't think so, as this is =
the only message in a while, that was that way.
Thanks.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe Garrett=20
  To: pianotech ; hoffsoco@luther.edu=20
  Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2005 3:42 PM
  Subject: Re: Chickering Square Grand Actions, etc.

  Conrad asked: "=20
I haven't had my head in a Chickering square lately... JOE! did they put =
a=20
repetition action in their late ('80s) squares??Conrad,By the '80's they =
were using what we would call a "standard square grand action". The only =
piano, I know of, that had a "real" double escapement action", was a =
Mathuscheck.As for the pics of the "goofy" chikering action, that is an =
impossible piece of junk, that is extremely difficult to regulate. I =
just COMPLETED, (Yahoo!), the 1867 Chickering, flat strung, 8' grand, =
remanufacturing! I trashed the original action, as it was trash anyway, =
with a NEW Renner! How sweet it is!Ronsen Wurzen Hammers and a VERY =
CAREFULLY engineered Renner action, weighed off on the "light" side, to =
give the impression of the original touch. It plays great, sounds great =
and I'm all warm and fuzzy!Took over 20 years, (I'm embarrassed to =
admit), of spare time to complete.BTW, it has a Fandrich S.B.! And, a =
Fandrich/Garret Scale!Complete new, (Pratt-Read), MODIFIED, Back Action =
and the trapwork was re-engineered for ease of adjustment and =
function.All in all, it's a killer! When the owner/refinisher, (piano =
tech who specilizes in finishing), gets done doing his magic, we are =
going to have one helluva PARTY!!!<G>I hope to do something similar to =
the "Atalier" thingee, only with an all day seminar for techs, prior to =
the "PARTY"!<G>Sorry for being so wordy, but I can't restrain my =
joy.<G>Regards,Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I=