Kawai CA-40 tuning problem

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:02:45 -0500

Michael,

I consider flagpoling an annoyance during tuning, but not a likely cause of instability as long as I have done the requisite test blows with pin-wiggling.  But go ahead and CA the bushing - I don't see how it could do any harm.

Others have suggested checking and tightening pinblock screws.  Much more likely culprit in my view - in fact, do all the plate screws all the way around the piano.  Equal opportunity problem, affects new or old.

How's the string rendering through the front duplex?  Too much friction, or "stick and jump", can easily defeat stability.

Any other impressions from tuning, of unusual behavior?

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Gamble
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 6/16/2005 10:49:46 AM
Subject: Kawai CA-40 tuning problem

Hello Listers
This Kawai grand is not that old. It simply will not stay in tune. My colleague at Glyndebourne had tuned it the previous day - and, like.... it was horrible! Not just the 8ves, but the unisons also. He invited me to "have a go" - which challenge I took up with gusto! Next day I had a "look" at the tuning and found that... although it wasn't as bad as when I started the previous day it had indeed drifted. Now I think the web bushings are soft and the wrest pins are flag-poling. So I have a notion to inject some CA in there to try and solidify those bushes. What does the Team think?
Regards from a Bartered Bride day in the Sussex Downs
Michael G.(UK)