Kawai CA-40 tuning problem

justpianos@our.net.au justpianos@our.net.au
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 02:57:19 -0000

List
Does anybody consider using an "impact driver" as suitable, or extreme for
plate/pinblock screw tightening?
Your comments please.
Bruce Browning - The Piano Tuner

Michael Spalding <spalding48@earthlink.net> said:

> Michael,
>
> I consider flagpoling an annoyance during tuning, but not a likely cause of
instability as long as I have done the requisite test blows with pin-
wiggling.  But go ahead and CA the bushing - I don't see how it could do any
harm.

> Others have suggested checking and tightening pinblock screws.  Much more
likely culprit in my view - in fact, do all the plate screws all the way
around the piano.  Equal opportunity problem, affects new or old.

> How's the string rendering through the front duplex?  Too much friction,
or "stick and jump", can easily defeat stability.

> Any other impressions from tuning, of unusual behavior?
>
> Mike

colleague at Glyndebourne had tuned it the previous day - and, like.... it
was horrible! Not just the 8ves, but the unisons also. He invited me to "have
a go" - which challenge I took up with gusto! Next day I had a "look" at the
tuning and found that... although it wasn't as bad as when I started the
previous day it had indeed drifted. Now I think the web bushings are soft and
the wrest pins are flag-poling. So I have a notion to inject some CA in there
to try and solidify those bushes. What does the Team think?