Angry Hubby / OT ??

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:37:16 -0700

You don't have to be big to charge big.  You just need the=
 confidence in your skills and worth.   Organ repair/service has=
 a much bigger time difference between service.  He might not be=
 out to that organ again for several years.

David I.

Original message
From: Carl Teplitski
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Angry Hubby / OT ??

GOOD for you !!!  I have often times thought that we as tuners,=
 should have
a website where we could post these type problem clients for=
 other tuners
in the area  to be able to access, and know how to handle if they=
 are called.
I think these types of people go thru many tuners in an area ,=
 dispensing
similar , inconsiderate , acts, on unsuspecting guys/gals trying=
 to make an honest
living.  Not fair to have to put up with that kind of b.s.
I have a good friend who does organ, keyboard service, and=
 charges very high rates for same.
Nobody gives him a bad time . He is 6' 3", and weighs about 275=
 lbs. Been on calls with him,
to help him physically move an instrument, and saw what he=
 charged. Could tell that the client
was quite ticked - off, but didn't say a word. In the same=
 situation,( and I recognize it,) same
client would have tuned me in pretty good, I have no doubt. =
 Maybe we should all hire a gorilla
to come with us on our calls, just for that type situation. We=
 could call him "SPIKE."
I'm 5' 8", in shoes, so I certainly know the feeling of the above=
 example.

CT.

Ed Carwithen wrote:

I went to tune a piano that is a regular on my list.  I have been=
 taking care of the piano for 6 years or so.  It's a spinet..not=
 a great piano, but nice lady.
  I approach the door and husband says.."Are you going to tune=
 that piano again?  This is Bullshit!  She doesn't even play the=
 damn thing anymore."
Whoops!  I turned around, put my tools back in the pickup and=
 left.  Wife called before I got home and left a message asking =
 me to come back.  She really did want the piano tuned.
You should also know that this piano is in a town 80 miles from=
 my home, and the other appointment for that day had cancelled=
 the night before, so I made the trip for one piano.
I wrote her a note detailing what her husband had said and that I=
 was uncomfortable working in a hostile environment.
I haven't heard anything back from her since.  I hate to lose a=
 client, but I don't need the aggravation.

Thanks for listening.

Ed Carwithen
John Day, OR