Need Advice on Baldwin Hamilton Studio Upright

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 18:53:22 -0700

Robert,

What books are you reading for piano tuning and repair?   Piano=
 work uses a lot of logic and common sense thinking.  For=
 instance in the situation you are asking about.  You had a=
 sluggish hammer or when retrieving the mute you noticed the=
 spring was out of its slot.  You pushed the hammers forward and=
 got the mute out how?   Fingers work but as my teacher Robert=
 Erlandson said, "Use a tool not your fingers"   The spring is a=
 thin metal wire.  Fingers don't work because why?   Too big.  =
 Something thin like a screw driver blade might work...but the=
 spring won't stay with the blade.  You need a groove in the=
 blade to catch and hold the spring.   How about a thin brass rod=
 from a hardware store and cut a groove in the end with a file. =
 Someone mentioned the Hart tool...that's what I use, many tools=
 you can make yourself.

Really think about the problem and come up with a solution...

David Ilvedson