Rib Crowned Soundboards.

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:42:32 +0200

David.

/In a reply in the not too distant past you stated that you felt that
some compressioning (is that a word) was necessary for good tone. /

No, I did not.
 /I could be mistaken, but I don't think so and life is too short to go
searching. /

You are mistaken.

 /I'm not looking to rehash the debate I was just wondering if
your opinion had changed given this new revelation at Steinway.  Anyway,
installing the board at 6.5% EMC (as the RC&S guys are doing as well, as
it turns out at H. Steinway, if they are not misinforming you) will
result in a very small amount of compression.  I think 6.5 is equivalent
to about thirty something percent RH which would put the panel under a
slight amount of compression at DC controlled 42%.

David Love/

Seems too me you are overlooking the amount of compression that can be built into
the assembly by simply pressing the ribs and panel into a cauls with smaller radius
then the ribs... be they flat or otherwise. You can very well achieve very significant
levels of compression without drying the panel out, as I and others have said several
times in the past 2 days. Perhaps you need to re-read the different ways compression
can be achieved ??

Cheers
RicB