Rib Crowned Soundboards.

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:19:37 -0700

I'm not overlooking anything from the posts of the last 2 days, or 2
years for that matter.  The issue remains achieving stiffness, not
compression.  I am still wondering, though, since you have been singing
the praises of H Steinway and their traditional method of crowning
whether your impression of their tone has changed since you discovered
that their crowning procedure is different than you thought.  You have
argued for "differences" in tone between CC and RC&S boards.  Perception
is often based on preexisting beliefs and I'm just curious how that
might have affected yours.  An honest question, really.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Ric Brekne
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 11:43 AM
To: pianotech
Subject: Rib Crowned Soundboards.

David.

/In a reply in the not too distant past you stated that you felt that
some compressioning (is that a word) was necessary for good tone. /

No, I did not.
 /I could be mistaken, but I don't think so and life is too short to go
searching. /

You are mistaken.

 /I'm not looking to rehash the debate I was just wondering if
your opinion had changed given this new revelation at Steinway.  Anyway,
installing the board at 6.5% EMC (as the RC&S guys are doing as well, as
it turns out at H. Steinway, if they are not misinforming you) will
result in a very small amount of compression.  I think 6.5 is equivalent
to about thirty something percent RH which would put the panel under a
slight amount of compression at DC controlled 42%.

David Love/

Seems too me you are overlooking the amount of compression that can be
built into
the assembly by simply pressing the ribs and panel into a cauls with
smaller radius
then the ribs... be they flat or otherwise. You can very well achieve
very significant
levels of compression without drying the panel out, as I and others have
said several
times in the past 2 days. Perhaps you need to re-read the different ways
compression
can be achieved ??

Cheers
RicB