Hitch Pin Plate Drilling

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:38:40 -0400

I'm about to drill a plate for vertical hitch pins. On the few plate =
I've done this to, I've always had enough fore-and-aft room in the hitch =
pin area to place the new hitch pin at a desirable location, and not be =
real close to the original hitch pin. Unfortunately, on the plate I need =
to drill, the hitch pin area is relatively narrow and I can't go very =
far fore or aft with the new location. I can only assume that the =
original steel pin is a lot harder than the cast iron and I must avoid =
hitting it. Agree? Any general advice on placing the new hitch pins in a =
situation like this from those who have crossed this bridge (or rather =
hitch pin area) before?

I could go immediately aft of the originals, but that would put all pins =
in one line - although the originals held up for 100 years in that =
array. Should I just do that and not worry about it?

Terry Farrell