Steinway Backchecks

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:28:57 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0007_01C57704.6FB9F6C0
The old style NY Steinway are more like 65mm long (at least from the one
I measured in the shop).  The width is correct.  I would argue in favor
of precutting them on the long side.  Once glued they can be trimmed
easily with a side cutter (center pin type).  If they are too short,
that's a problem.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Piano Forte Supply
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 8:19 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Steinway Backchecks

I have had a few requests to supply pre cut buckskin for old style
Steinway backchecks.  One tech gave me the dimensions as 10.5 x 57 mm
(.413 x 2.244").  Can anyone out there confirm this?  Dale, Dave, Ron,
et al?  I want to make sure the dimensions are correct before I get the
leather cut.

Also, is it a medium thickness or more on the thick side?  I can get 2.0
and 2.5 mm (nominal) buckskin.
Thanks in advance.

Jurgen Goering
www.pianofortesupply.com