Baldwin SD-10 weight

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 06:52:35 -0500

We had a similar leg breaking incident here with a "B" and a threshold.
It was a piano that normally didn't move anywhere.  If you like, I can
get you the name of the young man who was moving the instrument and was
but 2" from having his foot amputated.  He can give a dramatically told
story of his feelings when that hit the floor.  That kind of money
saving is what has made our legal profession as lucrative as it is.

=20

dp

=20

David M. Porritt

dporritt@smu.edu

________________________________

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Ron & Lorene Shiflet
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 1:03 AM
To: tcole@cruzio.com; Pianotech
Subject: Re: Baldwin SD-10 weight

=20

no.  It's a long story, I'll give you the short version.

=20

    School bought a Baldwin SD-10 new about 12 years ago for their
stage.  The school put it on 3 little individual piano trucks rather
than the proper 1-piece unit.  Costs less is better...right???

  A couple of years ago the piano was getting pushed into another room
and when it hit the threshold, the leg at the end shattered and the
piano went down.  Fortunately nobody was hurt and the piano damage was
limited to the leg.  The school had a local high school wood shop copy
the leg and build a new one.  The copy looks good.  The school put the
new leg on and the piano was put  right back up on the wrong trucks
again. =20

    Now the front 2 legs are cracking.  The school called me this time.
My position is to replace all 3 legs with the factory originals and to
put it on the 1-piece piano truck.  My estimate is pretty high.  The
reason that I'm looking for the weight is to give them an idea as to
what kind of damage is potentially there if the piano falls again.  I
dread the thought of an 1,100 pound concert grand falling on a 98 pound
college freshman vocal major fresh out of high school.  I've also looked
at the price of a new piano.  The money saved by doing it the
hobby-tooner way is a false savings.

=20

Ron    =20

=20