Table saw recommendations?

hubert liverman hubertliverman@bellsouth.net
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:59:34 -0500

Sarah,

Kickback can be problematic, a jig with angled feather strips, push sticks
and  a good dado blade are essential. Two people, a pusher and a puller to
control the down force, feed and linear speed.
Buy long lenghts of wood, measure the set up twice, then cut slot. Think
production slotting, save the sawdust to    use as filler, then cut to
required length.

Hope this helps, terse as is.

Hubert Liverman

> Excellent advice!  Too bad I can't even begin to afford the saws you've
> suggested.  :-(  I might upgrade with aftermarket add-ons later, if needs
> arise.
>
> Your emphasis on jigs leads me to post a question to you (or to anyone
else
> who cares to comment):  I have in mind a jig for cutting a 5/16" wide x
> ~3/8" deep rectangular slot through the length of a 1x2 piece of poplar
> stock.  I have a choice of doing it with a jig on a router (slowly, with
> lots of heat and noise) or doing three passes through a jig on the table
> saw.  I've never used a table saw to cut grooves.  Am I asking for trouble
> with regard to kickback?  I'm thinking that I'll avoid trouble by having a
> simple jig that holds the workpiece securely against the table and fence
> (while also covering the blade).  However I do this, I want to do it the
> best way, because I'll (hopefully) be cutting LOTS of stock this way.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Peace,
> Sarah

Kelly