Table saw recommendations?

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:35:35 -0400

Hi Hubert and Brad,

Sorry I gave the wrong impression...  Yes, I mean cutting a long slot down
an 8' piece of wood.  I'd do 10' or 12' lengths, except that I have to make
some plywood inserts, and that only comes in 8'.  ;-)

Hubert, the first jig you described is exactly what I was considering doing,
so I think I must be on the right track.  I'll have one person on each end,
and we'll do big-ish production runs.  I was considering multiple passes
with a single blade, each time expanding the kerf.  I was going to do one
pass with all of the stock, move the jig, do a second pass with all the
stock, move the jig once more, and then do all the final passes.  I didn't
know about the dado sets.  Very slick!

Thanks for all the safety advice, as I care very much about safety.  I
learned most of what I know from a couple of folks who were equally
compulsive, if not more so.  One of them easily had $100K or more in
machinery and wasn't about to let me breathe on any of it without a major
rundown in safety and proper usage, combined with a lot of nervous
supervision thereafter.  He ultimately trusted me to use his shop when he
wasn't around -- all except for the milling machine, which remained locked
up in its own room.  NOBODY touched the man's milling machine -- or walked
within a 5' radius of it!  But yes, it's been quite a while since I've used
a table saw, so the refresher was in order.  Thanks!  :-)

Peace,
Sarah