Franz Mohr

Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:02:56 -0400

I have two, most probably unrelated thoughts.

First, I'm reminded of the film "Being There".  Here's Franz, making one,
fairly broad, arching comment, igniting the polarities in the ether around
him, while he simply goes along, moved (I think) primarily by his faith,
rather unconcerned with the questions driving Greg (et al).  I can envision
the "Franz Mohr" thread, extending indefinitely, encompassing all the
conflicting ideas that have been expressed on this list, whether related to
pianos, politics or religion.  And all he probably meant was that he has
enjoyed, emotionally and spiritually, the highest level of piano experience
that he could imagine.  Which is related to Greg's epiphanal encounter with
the Mason BB.  The fact that Franz has either chosen, or been compelled to
(is it "testify" or "witness"?) his spiritual beliefs is what confounds
some of us, though, clearly, not all, especially in the current political
climate.

Second. Horace, since there are others who have overlapped with Franz,
(though they may not be as prolific authors as he), for what portion of the
Steinway lore is he, in fact, the last remaining link?  Who were the
others?  While I didn't quote your entire post, I agree, as I do with Greg.

Here's to Franz.

David Skolnik