reamers for teflon centers

Sun, 26 Jun 2005 02:15:18 -0400

Patrick -

I would echo Joel's reply, at least the part about rolling the pin between
files, as I haven't used the Pianotek reamers. Drill bits won't work, at
least in part because they are not accurate enough, and, I suspect, because
their main cutting edge is at the bottom, not the sides.  The ones I have
(when I can find them) are copies of what Steinway was using, at one point
at least.  Made by Johnson Carbide, 4 flute, from .490" to .530" in .0005"
increments.  They worked well, at least until they started to feel dull,
but I never found a direct relationship, that is, I would generally stay
"undersize" with the reamer in relation to the pin size, or sometimes find
the need to "cheat" a bit, by bearing, just a bit, to one side or
another.  They were not cheap, and I had to have a minimum (10 sets)
made.  Don't ask where they are now.

By using different coarseness file, you can get the roughened pin to
slightly different cutting diameters, and you can "refresh" the cutting
edge easily.  Or, as I think Newton once told me, you can get some results
just by deforming them, slightly, of course.

Before starting, recheck the price of a set of them bushings, just to
remind yourself to not to screw any up.

Have fun.

David Skolnik